Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Learn a new language

Ok so traveling the world to exotic places is like the thing to do today if you are single and in your 20 ' s am I right? And I'm going to be honest, I am definitely on that band wagon. I traveled to South America and the Middle East last year, and I am definitely planning some more trips for next year. I love it! But like, there is waiting time between each trip which can be super long and boring. So....why not learn a new language? Yes I know this is a long and hard process. I dedicated a ton of time to be fluent in Spanish. But you know what? It was totally worth it. I love love love being able to communicate with people! But there are still so many people I can't meet because I don't speak their languages. After visiting Dubai last year I decided I super want to learn how to speak Arabic. Well it took me a year to learn Spanish, and that was with dedication to learning it all day every day while living in a Spanish speaking country. I do not have that luxury now living in the states again. So I've tried to find the best way to learn a language while not being in that ideal environment. I started following this instagram that gives me an Arabic word a day. But it just wasn't sticking. I have some friends both here in the states and some in the middle east who give me some phrases. But I like really want to learn it. So, I finally decided to get Rosetta Stone, to see if it works. Because it took me 1 year to learn Spanish while living in a Spanish speaking country, I figured I needed (at least!!) double that if I want to learn Arabic. So I  signed up for their biggest package which is 3 years for $209. That might sound like a lot of money to you if you have never learned a language. But just think of how much it costs to take a single language class in college! You also might be thinking, "but that's a really long time!" Just wait. In 3 years, I am going to be speaking a new language. And I only do it for a couple of minutes a day, and I can take a day off every once and a while without feeling guilty or getting a bad grade. What are you going to have to show for your life in 3 years? I'm totally going to win unless you do something that is worthy of 3 years. Which learning a new language is totally worth! I started in June and I try to get in just 10-15 minutes a day of Arabic. At first I was like, this isnt working. I am just playing little games. But then one day someone asked me to say a sentence in Arabic and I totally could! I am now 4 months in. I'm not as far as I should be...I got lazy when I went to Chile and just focused on my Spanish.... so I guess I kinda wasted a month... I'm not perfect, but I bet I can speak more Arabic than you! So give it a try. Pick a language you are super passionate about learning- in a place you want to visit one day. It's fun and easy and before you know it you will have a new skill!

No comments:

Post a Comment